The Good Old Days


Back in the days while I was growing up still in the cradle of my mother's care, it was like I would never get to this stage in life..Corrections upon corrections. Rebukes upon rebukes even at the presence of my friends or playmates with occasional lashing, a hot slap with the back of my mama's hand or rough squeezing of the ear( that especially I can't forget). Just as the Nigerian Born singer "Olamide Baddo"says in  one of his singles... ''me and my friends no be butter boys...'' Then, it took me all my will power not to run mad at nature for giving me the kind of parents I have(disciplinarian to the born marrow). 
In fact, it was a thing of mutual understanding between my friends and I that whenever am walking on the street with my mother we don't greet each other. We just move on like zombies and behave like we've never met(You must be thinking my mother is too wicked. I thought as much then too... what ignorance!). The discipline was so elaborate that no stone was left upturn. One must to follow due protocol in everything we do, no matter how thin it might be. From our eating habit to talking and answering questions to facial expression when being rebuked. Like, we must be upstanding and arms behind us while we are being addressed(Yea..that's how strict it was). hmmm.. I must also speak of the occasional treats and that's what always confuse me. Like if this mother can be so caring why can't she remain this way? Why can't she just be the good side she seldom show us. Both right now while reminiscing, I discover that the so-called good times were more that the bad ones has I would put it then. 
It was after I became independent that I realized the importance of all the military-like disciplines. It surely pays off. It took me through a lot while I was independent of my parents. It help me to survive in the jungle of life. It makes me versatile....
Bottom line: Spare the rod and kill the child...Parents: Discipline your children because you don't know what tomorrow may bring. 
Mind telling us yours....Let hear from you too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWOT Analysis of Men Over Women

Speak Out

Who is the Thief of Destiny?